Thursday, March 26, 2009

I am Square, You are Square

BY GENEVIEVE CLOUTIER

I am an interdisciplinary artist whose work explores cognitive and geographical landscapes, identity, gender and the objects of subjectivity in relation to a theatrical society. I employ video, performance and installation to linguistically explore these tropes, while using the grammar of a self-proclaimed 'imagined situationalism'. My interest in relational art, communications, the media, displacement and challenging semantics are an integral part of my practice.

I see net(work) as a fair that challenges and embraces the capabilities of a relational art that aims to connect artist and audience member. My own interest in collaboration stems from a desire to negotiate our differences. These differences are linguistic in nature, cultural, and most obviously, spatial. Relational art exists without institutional barriers and at its best allows for real human contact, as defined by those experiencing it. Most importantly to me, it confronts anxieties created by borders. These borders are political in nature. They exist as a pre-discursive core to identity. With that said, I propose to project a square of colour in the center of the room. In the square it reads: “By casting a shadow on this projection I thereby agree to honour those next to me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment