Wednesday, March 25, 2009

AffirmNation: positive strokes = positive folks

ANNA WHITE

In the spirit of intergenerational community fairs I will set up a booth with an “affirmation” banner above it. I will act as the coordinator and facilitator of an activity booth from which I will invite participants to use the tools provided (paper, pens, tape, pins) to write a statement of affirmation for anyone in the room, or not, that they may or may not know. The participants will be encouraged to either take action in giving the affirmation to those for which they were written, and fasten them to their persons by tape/pins, or to display them by the booth creating a collage of affirmations as objects creating an entity unto itself which will be used later in the evening.
positive folks, what are you proud of this week?

I have yet to decide which character I will access for this role of facilitation. I am wavering back and forth between an incredibly cheery, gentle, affirming "go-getter"-someone who would lead a motivational seminar, or "Lana", my pissed-off and crass alter ego who would be great at engaging any affirmation skeptics.

hokey pokey: 
At some point during the event there will be a ceremonial reading / calling out / offering of the affirmations during which any one may take part. This will be improvised based on my facilitation, the audience, and other performer's participation.

I am interested in the role of community gatherings, intimate personal actions, humour, and impromptu rituals in fostering an environment of social sustainability. I see the theme of net(work) as an ideal setting for this type of interactive exploration into these issues. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi

    The blog is really nice, especially because it matches my interest..

    ReplyDelete